CMLS needs volunteer attorneys to donate time and talent for a variety of legal needs. Volunteer opportunities include giving brief advice at a legal advice clinic, giving a presentation to a community group on a particular legal topic, acting as a mediator in a family law case, or representing a client through litigation.
CMLS only assists with civil legal issues. While most cases involve family law including mediation, consumer debt matters, or estate issues like simple wills and guardianship, there are a variety of legal issues where volunteers are needed. If you want to get involved, CMLS will find something to fit your interests!
How the Program Works
Attorneys register and indicate the types of cases and the counties they are willing to volunteer for. CMLS screens clients to determine income eligibility and makes a preliminary merit determination. Attorneys are contacted by VAP staff on a rotating basis when a case is available.
Legal Advice Clinics
CMLS currently operates the following legal advice clinics that are run by volunteer attorneys.
- Stearns County Legal Advice Clinic: Tuesdays from 12-1:00 pm at the St. Cloud Public Library
- Isanti County Legal Advice Clinic: 2nd Monday of every month from 1:00-4:00 pm at the Isanti County Government Center
- Wright County Legal Advice Clinic: Thursdays from 12-1:00 pm at the Wright County Government Center
- Kandiyohi County Legal Advice Clinic: 3rd Friday of every month from 10-11:00 am at the Willmar Public Library
- Montevideo VA Legal Advice Clinic: 3rd Friday of every month from 12-1:00 pm at the Montevideo VA Clinic
Want to Sign Up?
You can sign up to volunteer by completing our online registration form and one of the CMLS VAP Coordinators will be in contact with you directly. Otherwise, you can contact a VAP Coordinator in St. Cloud or Willmar, directly to learn more.
St. Cloud VAP Coordinator
Willmar VAP Coordinator
Please review our VAP Policies and Procedures before you complete your registration!